"A CRUMMY WORLD OF PLOT HOLES AND SPELLING ERRORS."

Friday, July 31, 2009

bumper sticker archives, #1

i think bumper stickers are a rather fascinating form of self-expression. you have this tiny rectangle with just a few words to sum up a piece of what you're all about and broadcast for all the world to see.

a lot of them are boring (i.e. political affiliation, alma mater, trade union) or tasteless/stupid (i.e. "i do what the voices in my head tell me" or "my other ride is your mom") but i see some real gems from time to time in my neighborhood.

for example:



this truck belongs to a guy on my block. the "i <3 violence" sticker alone is absurd enough to qualify as noteworthy, but there's more to it. not only is the owner a chicago cop, he put a sticker proclaiming his love of violence direclty next to his fraternal order of police sticker.

if i were a cop in a city with as many ugly memories of police brutality as chicago, i probably wouldn't go out of my way to reinforce that perception. i dunno, maybe he just really likes ultimate fighting or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment